Please note the following basic information:
- Documents not in the German or English language must be submitted with a certified German translation. A translation of the personal data page of the passport is not necessary.
- All docments must be presented as original. Certificates must be presented with Apostille/ legalization where necessary. Your documents will be returned to you once your application has been processed.
- Processing time is approx. 4 - 8 weeks, but it can take longer in individual cases.
- Flight reservations are not required to apply for the visa. Please book your flight only after you have received your visa.
- The Embassy reserves the right to request further documents.
- Missing documents delays the processing of the application and can result in your application being rejected.
- Please do not contac the Embassy to check the status of your application during the normal processing period. Such enquiries are extremely time-consuming for the visa section and will not be answered.
The following documents have to be submitted with every application:
|Two fully completed and signed application forms incl. declaration pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act|
|Two recent biometric passport photos|
|Valid passport with at least 2 empty pages|
|Two copies of the data page of the passport|
|Proof of admittance to the study course/ preparatory college including information on the course language +2 copies|
|Certificates of academic qualifications + 2 copies|
|Curriculum vitae +1 copy|
|Letter of Motivation +1 copy|
|Where not confirmed by the University in the letter of admittance: Proof of the language skills in the language of instruction for the study course or the preparatory course (without any preparatory language course, the language skills have to be at least on a B2 Level in the language of instruction) +2 copies|
Proof of adequate financial means
The applicant must have at least 861€ per month at their disposal. Proof must be submitted with the application of financial means for at least one year, which is at least 10,332€ (for example as an blocked bank account or a formal undertaking by a third Person to cover all cost.
In case of financing in the form of a blocked bank account:
Open the blocked bank account in good time BEFORE you apply for a visa. When applying for a visa, only the official confirmation of the opening of the account including Information about the amount paid and the amount available every month will be accepted. A confirmation which does not include this Information is insufficient.
Proof of adequate health insurance cover
If you want to take out statutory health insurance, you must bear in mind that this insurance can only begin when you take up residence in Germany and after enrolment. If you enter Germany beforehand, private health insurance must be taken out for the period prior to enrolment and registering for statutory health insurance. In its terms and conditions, travel health insurance can exlude protection if a long-term stay is planned. So-called incoming health insurance can also contain such exclusions.
|In the case of preparatory language course or internship: Proof of acceptance|
|Applicannt of a nationality other than Zambian (or Malawi): residence permit|
|Visa fee of 75 € payable in ZMW in cash on the day of the visa appointment|