Please note the following basic information:
- Documents not in the German or English language must be submitted with a certified German translation. A translation of the personal data page of the passport is not necessary.
- All docments must be presented as original. Certificates must be presented with Apostille/ legalization where necessary. Your documents will be returned to you once your application has been processed.
- Processing time is approx. 4 - 8 weeks, but it can take longer in individual cases.
- Flight reservations are not required to apply for the visa. Please book your flight only after you have received your visa.
- The Embassy reserves the right to request further documents.
- Missing documents delays the processing of the application and can result in your application being rejected.
- Please do not contac the Embassy to check the status of your application during the normal processing period. Such enquiries are extremely time-consuming for the visa section and will not be answered.
The following documents have to be submitted with every application:
|Two fully completed and signed application forms incl. declaration pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act
|Two recent biometric passport photos
|Valid passport with at least 2 empty pages
|Two copies of the data page of the passport
|Signed Au-Pair contract based on the specimen contract published by the Federal Employment Agency http://www.arbeitsagentur.de/unternehmen/arbeitskraefte/au-pair (original + 2 copies. A print-out or fax copy will be accepted if the Au-Pair post was offered through an agency with RAL Gütezeichen Quality mark)
|Residence Registration of the host Family (Meldebestätigung) +2 copies
|Personally drafted curriculum vitae detailing in particularany training to date and, where applicable, periods of employment+1 copy
|Letter of Motivation, detailing expectations of planned stay and anticipated career and personal benefits, as well as future plans +1 copy
|Where available: Proof of qualification, for example diplomas, certificates, work log with Translation if not in English + 2 copies
Proof of adequate financial means
As a rule in the form of the Au-Pair contract
Proof of German language skill at A1 level
Sufficient to prove your language skills is submitting a language certificate which has been acquired on the Basis of the Standards of the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE Standard).
These ALTE Standards apply to certificates issued by any Goethe Institute (GI) for the A1 language examination “Start Deutsch 1” (or a higher certificate of the Goethe Institute)
Certificates from other language Schools not meeting the ALTE Standard cannot be accepted.
As there is currently no Goethe Institute or certified Institute in Zambia or Malawi to take specific language tests., we suggest to contact the Goethe Institute in the neighboring countries:
Johannesburg/ South Africa
Additionally, you may consider online courses or self-learn language courses and apps, books etc.
Health insurance in line with EU standards
(to cover taking up residence in Germany and valid for the entire Schengen area, minimum coverage of 30,000 €, valid from the day of entry for the entire stay); proof to be provided at the latest when collecting the visa!
|Applicant of a nationality other than Zambian (or Malawi): residence permit
|Visa fee of 75 € payable in ZMW in cash on the day of the visa appointment