Visa to perform voluntary service (Federal Voluntary Service (BFD), Voluntary Social Year (FSJ), Voluntary Ecological Year (FÖJ), European Voluntary Service (EVS)

A couple enjoying a coffee

Living and working in Germany, © colourbox

12.07.2023 - Article

Please note the following general information:

  • Documents not in the English language must be submitted with a certified German translation. A translation of the personal data page of the passport is, however, not required.
  • Please note that the Embassy must see the originals, but does not keep them on file. Therefore, please always bring a copy of the original that you present at your appointment, including the data page of your passport. Certificates must be presented with Apostille/ legalization where necessary.
  • Where applicable, visa applications must be approved by the relevant foreigners authority in Germany. The visa can only be issued when this approval has been received.
  • Processing time is approx. one week but can take longer in individual cases.
  • Flight reservations are not required to apply for a visa – please only book when you have received your visa.
  • The Embassy reserves the right to request further documents.
  • Missing documentation delays the procedure and can result in your application being rejected.
  • Please do not contact the Embassy to check the status of your application during the normal processing period. Such inquiries are extremely time-consuming for the visa section and can thus not be answered.

The following documents have to be submitted with every application

Fully completed and signed visa application including declarations pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act
One recent biometric passport photo
Valid passport (personally signed with at least two (2) completely empty pages)
Copy of the data page of your valid passport

Contract/Arrangement on your voluntary service in Germany:

Federal Voluntary Service (BFD): Your contract must be signed by you and the Federal Office of Family Affairs and Civil Society Last updated: 25.01.2023 Functions (BAFzA), as well as the placement department, headquarters and, where applicable, by the institution implementing the voluntary service.

Voluntary Social Year (FSJ)/Voluntary Ecological Year (FOJ): Your contract must be signed by you and the respective institution, as well as, where applicable, the placement department.

European Voluntary Service (EVS): Your contract must be signed by the National Agency for Erasmus+ Youth in Action and the coordinating organisation. The Volunteer Arrangement in which the tasks and planned participant achievements are described must be signed by the coordinating organisation and the volunteer.

Personally drafted complete curriculum vitae, detailing in particular training to date and, where applicable, periods of employment
+ Letter of motivation
+ Motivation Letter: detailing expectations of planned stay and anticipated career and personal benefits, as well as future plans
Only for BFD/FSJ/FÖJ: Confirmation by the placement department/institution that no language skills are required initially or that you can acquire language skills by attending a language course after entry (otherwise: note for the mission abroad to request proof of basic knowledge of the German language when visa application is submitted).
Health insurance in line with EU standards (covering the entire Schengen area, minimum coverage of 30,000 €, valid from the day of entry until start of voluntary service); proof to be provided at the latest when collecting the visa
Proof of adequate financial means (As a rule, the sponsoring organisation covers accommodation and food costs. If the contract or other confirmation provided by the respective department does not provide information on your accommodation and meals, please provide additional proof that you can support yourself.)

Applicant of a nationality other than Zambian or Malawian: Proof of residence title in Zambia or Malawi

Fee Visa fee of 75€. Payable in Zambian Kwacha (cash only)

Additional content

Top of page